Having a sump pump is important for home and facility owners to ensure their basement is always dry with no water accumulation. Sump pumps are quality equipment that allows throwing out the excess water from the basement or any other point of water accumulation to make it dry. But, have you ever wondered what would happen if the sump pump pulls back all the water from outside to the place it cleared earlier?
Yes, this could happen but with a sump pump check valve, you do not have to worry about it. The Sump Pump Check Valve is fitted in the discharge line of the sump pump and its primary function is to prevent the discharged water from coming back to the sump when you switch off the sump pump motor.
There are many types of sump pump check valve available in the market. If you are looking forward to buying one, here we have reviewed some popular sump pump check valves:
Best Check Valves Comparison Chart
- 1 Best Check Valves Comparison Chart
- 2 Top Sump Pump Check Valves
- 2.1 Zoeller 30-0181 PVC Plastic Check Valve
- 2.2 CHECK VALVE QUIET CLR1.5 by BRADY
- 2.3 Superior Pump 99555 Plastic Universal Check Valve Kit
- 2.4 AY McDonald 4424-100 2069C 1 1/2 Clear Silent Check Valve
- 2.5 Zoeller 30-0041 50 psi PVC 2-Port Check Valve
- 2.6 WAYNE 1-1/2 in. Check Valve With PVC Clamps
- 2.7 Glentronics Basement Watchdog Klunkless Check Valve
- 3 How to Choose The Best Check Valve For Sump Pump
- 4 Benefits of a Good Sump Pump Check Valve
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 6 Conclusion
Top Sump Pump Check Valves
This is the best sump pump check valves that caters to your domestic and commercial wastewater elimination issues. Coming from the house of Zoeller, a company known for its quality products and services, the sump pump check valve offers guaranteed results in various water-related arrangements. Made with expertise, the construction of this check valve is dedicated to 100% customer safety and ergonomic solutions. Aptly priced and thoughtfully made, this check valve is one of the most sold sump pump check valves in 2023.
- Zoeller 30-0181 comes with 1-1/2 inch check valve which is well engineered to suit the pipes used on a sump pump.
- The flapper is designed in such that it bends to a certain extent and drives out the 90-degree edges.
- It is constructed in a way so that water hammer sound is reduced.
- The PVC plastic check body can be solvent for a rigid pressure rated piping system to 25 PSI.
- It is designed to withstand a heat up to 130-degree Fahrenheit (54 degree Celsius). It is better than most other units available at the local hardware store.
- They are available at reasonable price.
- Very good in quality and are reliable.
- Works very quietly (noise free) and smooth.
- Installation work is very easy and done within minutes.
- Designed for both horizontal and vertical installations.
- Free from water hammer.
- It is partly made of plastic, which can have a reduced lifespan.
- The opaque plastic makes it impossible to view during its operation.
- 1-1/2 slip x slip unions
- Flapper bends over a radius to eliminate sharp 90-degree edges
- Capable of vertical or horizontal installation
- Slip x slip for 4.3 PSI (10 feet of head) at 130°F
- Designed to reduce water hammer
Next is the quiet check valve. If you have a sump pump in the basement of your house and you hear a banging noise you know how annoying it might be? By installing a quiet sump pump check valve there is no question of banging noise when the valve shuts. The name itself describes how quiet it may be. No more headache by the clunking sound. This check valve eliminates the annoying noise caused due to opening and closing of the valve with the spring loaded internal flapper. Therefore any shock makes the bottom check to softly seat itself against the sealing surface. There is a limited manufacturer’s warranty available.
- This valve comes with the most popular 1 ½ inch size and made out of plastic.
- This check valve has a clear display which seems to be very handy for testing or viewing the valve function. Any malfunctions can be identified clearly.
- This valve also works silently without making a banging noise.
- This valve can work in both horizontal and vertical direction without any trouble.
- It comes with true union couplings which can be screwed and unscrewed easily in case there is a need for replacement.
- It reduces the water hammering and other air problems completely. It is offered at a reasonable price.
- It uses a spring to close and open the valve rather than only relying on gravity, it is more silent than any other valves.
- The transparent plastic on the outside of the valve makes it easy to view the flap inside to troubleshoot issues with the check valve.
- Handles the pressure and water hammer is also reduced.
- The strong springs might sometimes reduce the flow of water.
- Parts made of plastic can reduce the durability of the check valve.
- Installation requires PVC glue and some plumbing know-how.
- Package Length: 10.8"
- Package width: 13.79"
- Package Height: 24.41"
Next is the superior pump 99555 universal check valve. With over 150 years of pump industry experience, the Superior Pump makes every product with innovative technology and high-quality components. This valve is made out of durable ABS plastic. It uses a flipper style technique to open and close the valve during operation. The time taken for installation is considerably less. It is designed to fit with PVC pipes, Fernco pipe couplings, ABS Fittings and lot more. Therefore fitting will be easily done and does not involve any problems. It comes with limited manufacturer’s warranty of one year.
- It is a trustworthy check valve that comes with 1¼ inch and most popular 1½ inch male and female adopters which is suitable for almost all fittings.
- It has a high quality and durable nitrile seal which is attributed to excellent oil resistance on industrial equipment and designed for low-pressure water flange. This helps to stay the valve fixed with the pipes.
- It can work perfectly with the presence of any amount of pressure in the pipe.
- The package comes with one universal check valve along with two adaptors.
- Works very quietly by eliminating the banging noise.
- Offered at a low price when compared to others.
- Set up time is made quickly.
- Made with a high-quality nitrile rubber seal.
- You need to be careful during installation to not overtighten it or it may destroy the threads or break the plastic body.
- Plastic made valve can limit the lifespan.
- Functions are not visible with the opaque plastic material.
- Will fit any 1-1/4-inch or 1-1/2-inch NPT male or female thread
- Made from durable ABS plastic
- High quality Nitril-Bruna N seal
- Universal design works with multiple applications
- Kit includes check valve and two adapters
Next is the AY McDonald check valve. It is a traditional company famous for its quality and reliability. This check valve eliminates the typical banging sound of check valve when the pump shuts. AY McDonald uses a unique dual check design. The top check in the valve which absorbs the shock of the falling water so that the bottom check is seated softly on the sealing surface. All the valves are pressure tested to ensure performance with leak proof. It uses a spring to open and close the valve. It also provides limited warranty period with certain conditions.
- It comes with popular 1 ½ inch and 1 ¼ inch size variants which suits with most of the fittings.
- It is made of plastic which is non-metallic and cannot corrode over time.
- The body is made of high-grade ABS material. The clamps are made of 301 stainless steel clamps.
- The hoses are made with Styrene Butadiene Rubber (SBR) which has good ageing stability and abrasion resistance.
- It has the capability of handling heavy duty pumps. However, this check valve has not been rated at a high temperature.
- No water leakage.
- No worry of pressure as they come pressure tested.
- Wearing resistance during contact with another surface.
- It works in both vertical and horizontal directions.
- Valve works with spring.
- The flapper (which works with spring) might sometimes seem stiff which can reduce the flow of water.
- It is made of plastic.
- Eliminates the typical hammering of a sump check valve after the pump cycles
- All valves are pressure tested to ensure Leak-proof performance
- Stainless steel clamps included
Next is the Zoeller 30- 0041. As we know that Zoeller check valves are best rated traditional valves, this check valve is also a top rated variant. To be the best valve it must be noise resistance. This Zoeller 30- 041 works with springs to open and close the valves and thereby it reduces the banging noise made when the valve stops. These magical springs also eliminate the water hammer caused due to air to a large extent. The body is made of PVC plastic material which helps us to view the functioning of the valve. It has a limited warranty on certain conditions.
- It comes with most used 1 ½ inch size which can be easily fitted. It is designed to work in both vertical and horizontal direction.
- The ‘solvent weld ends’ feature helps the user to join the pipe without much difficulty which paves way for easy installation.
- Unlike other check valves, threading of pipes is not required.
- The plastic body has the ability to bear upto 50 PSI of pressure in the pipe. It is also designed to resist upto 130-degree Fahrenheit (54-degree celsius).
- Suitable for installations that are made below the basin cover.
- Easy and quick installation can be made with the help of solvent welding.
- Works efficiently even with high pressure.
- Transparent valve helps to see the working of the check valve.
- The ends are O-ring shaped and are unique to this device. If you go wrong in glueing, then you are forced to replace only from Zoeller.
- 1/2 lbs (0.23 Kg) spring magically eliminates water hammer
- Reduces motor and pump noise from plumbing system
- Designed for both horizontal and vertical usage
- Full-flow, non-clog design installation
- Durably-constructed PVC check body and compression end fittings
Next in our discussion is the Wayne check valves. To reduce the back water flow, this check valve is specially designed to suit any sump pump (both submersible and pedestal sump pump) and can be easily installed as it uses hose clamps instead of slip on connections. This valuve uses the gravity of the water to close the valve and the pressure from the sump pump below to open it. It also comes with a manufacturer’s warranty up to certain period of time.
- This valve also comes in 1 ½ inch and 1 ¼ inch pipe connection which is suitable for the majority of the sump pumps.
- As it is made of PVC plastic, this check valve kit is corrosion resistant which lasts for longer time.
- It comes with ‘reducer boot’ which can resist high temperature in the pipe.
- It also comes along with small stainless steel clamp and large stainless steel clamp.
- Also includes 1 ½ inch shoulder head adaptor along with it.
- The check valve can resist high temperature of the water.
- Reduces the noise produced in the check valve.
- It is suitable for any kind of sump pump.
- Works with gravity to shut the valve which might increase the chances of water hammering.
- Not available easily at your local store.
- For use with all types of sump pumps
- Keeps water from returning to sump basin
- Reduces noise
- Item has threaded male end 1 1/2" and outflow shoulder end 1 1/4", and includes 1 1/2" shoulder end adapter.
- Made of PVC
The last is the watchdog klunk-less check valve. Are you awakened on the rainy nights due to the noise created by the check valve when the pump shuts off? Watchdog klunkless valve comes to serve you as a watchdog and give you a pleasant sleep. The word klunkless itself clearly means that noise(clunk) is reduced or all together eliminated. It is designed to suit all types of sump pumps. It is also manufactured with a motive to improve the durability of the check valves. Let us look into the features
- This valve comes with 1 ½ and 1 ¼ inch diameter which is suitable for most of the pipes.
- They can be easily fitted in compact places.
- It has a patented silencing air chambers which absorb the shock made when the valve is shut. It also reduces the water hammering sound and other air problems.
- It also comes with hose clamps made of stainless steel.
- It also comes with 2 years manufacturer’s warranty which helps to repair the valve if anything goes wrong during these periods without any cost.
- The installation work seems to be quite easy and quick.
- Noise is drastically reduced.
- It reduces water hammer that could cause damage to your plumbing.
- Designed in such a way that it lasts for years.
- Over time the mechanics inside may become worn.
- There are chances for leakage of water.
- Not suitable for the horizontal fixture.
- Silencing air chamber reduces the loud CLUNKING sound when your sump pump shuts off
- Check valve installs easily on both 1-1/2” and 1-1/4” pipes with no gluing required
- Airtight chamber helps prevent water re entry back into the sump pit
- Includes stainless-steel hose clamps for easy installation
- Ground water use only. Not for use in sewage or ejector pits
How to Choose The Best Check Valve For Sump Pump
There are various sump pump check valves available on the market. Each of them differs substantially in terms of price, quality, durability, performance and etc. Before procuring a check valve for your sump pump have a look at the following points.
Budget – Estimate the budget that you wish to spend on a sump pump check valve. Check valves are available in various price ranges.
Type of sump pump – Know about the type of pump system that you have installed. Sometimes the check valve might fail to work due to mismatch with the pump.
Power level – Also know the power level of the sump pump. The check valve must be capable of functioning with the horsepower of the sump pump.
The frequency of use – Know the frequency of flooding or the frequency of usage of a sump pump. If the frequency is more then buy a branded check valve which can last for along time.
Speed – It emphasizes on the speed at which water has to be moved. Select a check valve which can act at a similar speed.
Noise reduction – Emphasis on silent check valves. Check valves can create a loud banging noise when it is closed. Therefore choose a silent one.
Durability – Wish for a metal check valve which ultimately increases the lifespan of the valve. Plastic check valves have less durability than metal valves.
Diameter – Check the diameter of the pipe fitted in the sump pump. It is advisable to take a piece of pipe to get a right fit.
Benefits of a Good Sump Pump Check Valve
- Attaching a check valve ensures one-way flow of water and prevents back water flow. This prevents the water to get into the tank again when the pump stops.
- By fixing a check valve, the life of a sump pump can be improved. When a check valve is not fixed, each time when your sump pump turns off the water rushes back to the tank and causes wear and tear to the pump which in turn reduces the lifespan.
- Most of the check valve can be used as both vertically as well as horizontally.
- Fitting a right check valve can eliminate water hammer (causes when the flow of water gets reversed). The valve that does not rely on reverse gravity flow but uses the spring to close will prevent water hammer.
- Check valves reduce vibration in the pipe. It uses the velocity of the fluid to increase pressure against the valve disk which moves the disk smoothly and gently which in turn reduces vibrations.
- They act as pressure regulators which in turn saves energy. It helps to reduce the hammering noises by replacing an old valve with a “soft close” or “silent” check valve.
- The check valve can be replaced without cutting the pipe when it needs to be serviced. Therefore it does not take more time and energy to change to change the check valve.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best check valve for a sump pump?
In our experience having a check valve that is clear so you can see water flowing through it is always nice because you can get an idea of the quality of the water in your basin, especially if the basin is sealed off with a cover. It also gives you a quick way to visually inspect to be sure that the check valve is operational and the shutter is not getting stuck or failing to completely close all the way.
Which is the quietest check valve for a sump pump?
There are many very quiet check valves you could choose from, make sure to also consider the flow rate and if you want a transparent or opaque one. See the reviews below for more!
Where is the best place to put check valve?
The ideal placement of a check valve for a submersible pump is right above the lid to the sump pit and in a vertical orientation so that the door is always pushed closed by the force of the water being pulled down by gravity when the pump shuts off.
Can you use a PVC check valve with a sump?
Yes, although you should evaluate the options below as sometimes using a rubber gasket is easier than gluing PVC pipe together. If you are already skilled with PVC then you probably want to consider also installing a union on either side of the valve in case you ever need to replace it in the future.
How does it work?
The check valve works based on the flow of water. The internal disk present in the check valve allows the water to move forward which opens the valve and automatically closes when the forward flow declines or is reversed.
The check valve is an important part of every sump pump to prevent water from flowing back into the basin. There are a ton of different check valves available in the market, but we’ve done our best to find the very best ones for you to consider. Each valve has some variation and you may need to consider a lot of different factors when selecting one to purchase for your sump pump. Needs change from person to person based on size, location, budget, brand, speed and pressure required. With the help of the list of check valves provided above, you can see whether your needs match with the features of the check valve.