A sump pump is an electromechanical device that pumps water out from a sump basin usually constructed in the basement to let the flood water accumulate through the internal drainage system. A Sump Pump is mainly designed with three main components, a motor, impeller, and float switch. A float switch plays the most important role in a sump pump because it activates the pump to drain the water out when the level gets too high.
Often if you are having trouble where the sump pump does not turn on ever regardless of the water height, or if the pump is always running because the switch always thinks there is too much water, you may need to replace your switch. There are three main types of float switches available, however the most commonly used is called a vertical action float switch. Amazon has a wide collection of float switches at very affordable prices. Take a look at some of the best sump pump float switches and controllers and don’t forget to read up on how to install a new float switch.
Top 7 Sump Pump Float Switch Reviews
- 1 Top 7 Sump Pump Float Switch Reviews
- 1.1 PumpSpy Sump Pump Tethered Float Switch
- 1.2 Parts 2O FP18-15BD-P2 Sump Pump Float Switch
- 1.3 Superior Pump 92010 Vertical Float Switch
- 1.4 Basement Watchdog BWC1 Dual Float Sump Pump Switch with Controller
- 1.5 LevelGuard Z24801A1Z Solid State Sump Pump Switch
- 1.6 HC6000 Hi-Lo Sump Pump Controller (Dual Float Switch)
- 1.7 Zoeller 004892 Replacement Switch for 50 and 90 Series Pumps
- 1.8 Conclusion
PumpSpy Sump Pump Tethered Float Switch
If you are looking for the simplest float switch and easiest to install, there is no need to look any further. This is the float switch I use now, and will continue to use anytime I need to replace it or if we buy a new house.
This float switch is compatible with any and every main sump pump you can buy and even comes with the hose clamp to make installation incredibly easy. All you need to do is plug this switch into your outlet and then plug your main pump into the back of the plug and now your pump will activate when the switch sends electricity through it’s plug. The relay inside the plug will only allow power to flow through when the float bulb is tilted so that the cord is facing down, anytime the end that the cord pokes out of is facing upwards it will shut the pump off. So, the only other thing to do to install this is use the supplied hose clamp to attach the cord down into the pipes in your sump basin. When the water level rises it will carry the bulb with it, which will position the cord downwards and trigger your pump to kick on. Then after your pump has drained water from the sump pit the bulb will again be lower than the “tether point” and it will shut the pump back off to wait for the next time your water level rises high enough for the pump to cycle again.
- This float switch is rated for up to 15 amps which should be way more than enough for almost all the sump pumps available for residential purposes.
- Can be customized to your liking, if you want your pump to cycle frequently but for a short time period leave less cord after the tether point. If you have a larger pit or want the water to reach a higher level (and have the space) you can allow more cord after the tether point.
- A 10 foot cord means you have extra length to use in case you need to reach an outlet that is far away
- Gold plated electrical contacts that can resisto pitting and wearing
- It’s simple operation means there are not many parts that could malfunction causing damage to your basement
Pros and Cons
- Compatible with ALL main sump pumps
- Comes with the hose clamp needed to tether this on to your existing plumbing
- Extremely easy to install
- Make sure nothing in the basin will obstruct this from floating upwards with the water level
- You may need to “fine tune” the ideal water level height by adjusting how much of the cord is tethered to the float bulb
Parts 2O FP18-15BD-P2 Sump Pump Float Switch
The sump pump comes in a piggyback designed structure and is mostly used for an immediate replacement of a failed or non-working tethered switch of a current submersible sump pump you are using. One of the additional benefits of the sump pump float switch is that it not only replaces its kind of switch but a vertical switch as well. The vertical switches that are used in a basin and comes in a diameter of 14 inches.
Out of all the basic qualities, this sump pump switch is corrosion resistant as well. This float switch comes in a universal design that can replace almost any automatic switch, irrespective of the brand of the switch you were previously using. You get an additional water level controller that adjusts the position of the sump pump on its own for a longer period of time.
- The piggyback design of the sump pump makes it easy to replace the switches
- Utility pumps can smoothly be converted into automatic ones
- The switch includes a standard tether strap and a mounting screw to be used in the sump pump
- Comes with a cord of length of 10 inches
- Sump is particularly designed for submersible drainers
- Has a corrosion resistant property
- Appropriate for attaching on a 115 V to 15-ampere pump
- Specifically designed for repair and home improvement usage
Pros and Cons
- Easy to attach and comes with an adjustable height design
- Automatically turns on and off
- Very easy to install
- Sump pump is a very durable product, works great even after years of usage
- Length of the cord is too small, might not be appropriate for every situation
- You may need to make sure you have the room in your basin before installing this switch as it could get caught by the other cords, the wall, or even the pumps and plumbing
Superior Pump 92010 Vertical Float Switch
Vertical Float Switch from Superior Pump is made from highly durable plastic material and it is designed to function for a long time. It has a standard design that works almost with every sump pump and other submersible pumps. The switch showcases the mechanical excellence with a non-mercury pattern that is connected with a SJOW power code, which is 10 ft long and is water resistant too. The switch runs with a maximum speed at the 10amps power and it also includes clamp and mount bracket.
The best part about the switch is, unlike other switches, one does not require to replace the switch even after long use. It requires almost zero-maintenance and it functions with a precision in activating the motor when water crosses the sump level in the basement.
- Universal standard design works with all types of pumps
- Fits well with sump pump as well as utility pumps
- 140ºF liquid temperature
- 1.5 lbs assembled product weight
- It has non-mercury activated switch
- The switch comes with mounting bracket and clamp
- 10 ft. long water-resistant power cord and attached piggyback plug
- 10 Amp power for maximum force and strength
- Offers long lifespan due to water resistance feature and material
- It does not let dirt accumulated on it and cleans automatically
Pros and Cons
- One size fits all – fits in every kind of pump and super easy to install
- Offers unmatched functioning precision
- Consumes less power and pumps with quicker speed
- Easy installation and less manual intervention required
- The space inside the basin it takes is minimal, there shouldn’t be many obstructions in the way for it to work
- Heavy flooding may break or damage the switch
- Heavy assembly may obstruct the pump functioning
- Accumulated dirt may put the switch out of order
- The mounting bracket can be rather sharp and could hurt you if you aren’t careful during installation
Basement Watchdog BWC1 Dual Float Sump Pump Switch with Controller
The basement watchdog dual float sump pump switch with controller comes with two large floats, both of them are enclosed in a protective enclosure or cage. This ensures that the debris and the other wires do not interfere with the floats. One of the float sump pumps activates automatically when the water level at your place rises by 1/4 level.
While the second one Stepney for the first one, in case the first one does not work while the water level rises, the second work takes its place. It completely drains the sump pit since it keeps on working for about 10 seconds of time even after the float completely drops to its original position. This property makes the maintenance of the water level easy.
- The standard design makes the sump pump compatible to most of the floats
- Automatically turns on when the water level rises above the ¼ level
- The dual float sump pump serves additional benefits of protection, while the first one fails to work
- The protection provided in the sump pump restricts any kind of float movement
- The design of the dual float is curvy and vented to protect the debris when under the float
- The packaging includes hose clamp and controller making the installation easier
- The device comes with a two-year long manufacturing warranty
Pros and Cons
- The sump pump has a long durability and can be used for 2 years
- Comes with a long cord and hose clamp
- Is corrosion resistant and has a dry crawl space as well
- The application of the switch causes short cycle, which in a way reduces the life of the float sump pump
- Takes a huge amount of space than the other sump pumps for installation
- The inside of the cage can get filled with debris that would prevent this float switch from triggering (I had roots growing into my basin and they actually ended up blocking this switch from functioning!)
LevelGuard Z24801A1Z Solid State Sump Pump Switch
LevelGuard is “The First Switch That Will Outlast the Pump”. LevelGaurd innovation is designed to prevent wrong actions. All you need is to plug the sensor unit in and placing the plug within the connector to complete the installation process and you will see the on-off cycle goes off in rhythm. The entire unit is designed with a piggyback connected with 15 ft long cord. It is manufactured to the perfection to minimize the activation from sloshing and provide the long pump life.
This sump pump from LevelGuard is a master class solution for flooding for both; the homeowners as well as service providers. Such is the sturdy design it has that avoids sump pump failure in a crunch situation. It detects the flood situation precisely and is tested to function for over 3 million cycles. It is all the more standardization process before pumping.
- Solid-state electronic design for non-sewage applications makes this one of the most reliable pump switches on the market
- Redundant upper limit sensors for “fail-safe” reliability
- Highly resistant to contaminant and mineral build up
- 15ft SJTO cord with 14 gauge wire and a “piggy-back” plug
- Offers 5 years of warranty against manufacturing defects
- Rated for up to 1/2 horsepower sump pump applications
- Tested to over 3 million cycles without failure
- A ‘smart’ sump calibration routine when unit first powers up
- Compatible with most manual sump pumps
- Requires less working space than mechanical float switches
Pros and Cons
- UL listed Field-Effect technology
- Automatic time-delay before turn-on
- Protects against pump electrical failures
- 6.7″ Fluid Level Control Range
- Outperforms conventional float switches 7 to 1
- Does not offer multifunctionality
- It may start cycling rapidly
- Takes 24 hours for switch to adjust
HC6000 Hi-Lo Sump Pump Controller (Dual Float Switch)
This Hi-Lo pump controller is a universal switch, dual float, and works with all kinds of utility pumps and sump pumps. The HC6000 pump controller is packed with two switches which makes it adjustable and provides a complete control of where the pump turns on and off.
If the pump is used with correct utility pump, it lets you set the turn-on level as low as 1/2 feet and turn off as low as 1/8 feet of water. When using it with sump pump, it allows adjusting the sensor to adjust the turn-off and turn-on levels in order to get the longest run time for the pump which saves power and offer a longer service life from the pumps.
- It works well with all utility pump and sump pump
- It has a precise control of turn off and turn on levels
- Packed up with a wide control range of 1/2″ to 20′
- It can be easily installed and fits well in crowded and small spaces
- Sensors present in it doesn’t get affected by debris and minerals in water; never need to clean it
- It has a lifetime warranty
Pros and Cons
- This Hi-Lo sump pump controller is easy to install.
- Providing a control to adjust turn on/off phase.
- It is highly adjustable and goes well with utility pumps and sump pumps.
- It’s not cheap!
- It is not waterproof and only rated for indoor use
- Installation can be trickier than most other switches
Zoeller 004892 Replacement Switch for 50 and 90 Series Pumps
For all homeowners and plumbing contractors out there, this is the switch that deserves some credit. Zoeller 004892 Replacement Switch for 50 and 90 Series Pumps is certainly one of the best switches out there in the market today which helps to extend the life of sump pumps may it be for commercial use or residential use only. Coming from a well-known brand worldwide, this switch came from the Zoeller family that gives nothing but excellent products and services to customers.
As long as your sump pump is part of the 50 and 90 series pumps, this is the best product that will solve your problems with switch failures.
- Compatible with the 50 and 90 series pumps which include 53, 55, 57, 59, 97, and the 98 models
- Comes with a rubber seal in the package
- Can handle continuous pump cycles during heavy rains
- The switch replacement is easy to do
Pros and Cons
- Easy to replace on 50 and 90 series pumps
- Having a standard size, it goes well with all Zoeller pumps
- Proven and tested on handling clean water and waste pump solutions
- It may give up when speedy pumping required
- Floating switch material is not durable enough
- Floating may be an issue at times
This mechanical device may look genuinely small component in the entire system, however, the lives and property it has saved are countless. It significantly avoids the pump failure and effectively helps pump detect the water level to initiate the process of pumping. The floating switch has to absolutely function as it has to get activated automatically to start the motor, hence, its durability, as well as the accuracy, matter the most. Make sure to buy sump pump replacement switch according to your requirement and size of the pump. Amazon offers a wide range of float switches for Sump Pump that can be further incentivized with the great discount.
Must Read Related Article